Corn & Basil Tart
(recipe from Better Homes & Gardens)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
- 1/2 cup coarsely snipped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Chopped tomato and basil (NOT optional)
1. For cornmeal crust, in medium bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat until combined. Beat in 1 egg until combined. Add in cornmeal and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour. Form dough into a disc and wrap in plastic. Chill 30 to 60 minutes or until easy to handle.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pat dough onto bottom and sides of 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Press evenly onto bottom and sides with a small glass (see note). Line pastry with double thickness of foil and bake 10 minutes; remove foil. Bake 4 to 6 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, in medium bowl whisk together 2 eggs and half-and-half. Stir in corn, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Pour into pastry shell. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan to serve. Sprinkle with tomato and additional basil. Makes 8 servings.
***I had a little more filling than I thought I would and ended up overflowing the tart pan. Be careful with that. I used a turkey baster to remove the excess filling! YIKES. It all worked out in the end. No one except you would know. ***