Panettone French Toast
(recipe inspired by Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys))
Serves 6-8 people
- 1 large panettone cut into 1 inch thick wedges
- 2 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (make it HEAPING!)
- pinch salt
- the zest of 1 1/2 oranges (reserve some to sprinkle on top of the french toast)
- butter for the pan/skillet
Preheat oven to 150 degrees. Put a cookie sheet in the oven to place your finished french toast.
In a large shallow dish add milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, orange peel & a pinch of salt. Whisk until well combined. Heat butter in a skillet on medium high heat, dip a piece of panettone in the custard, dunking lightly and saturating both sides until wet. Place panettone on the skillet and cook each side until nicely browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. Place cooked french toast in the oven and repeat until all the slices are done. Top with butter, maple syrup and a few sprinkles of reserved orange peel.