Salt & Vinegar Potato Salad
(adapted from Gourmet Magazine)
- 1 large red onion, cut lengthwise into 1/3 wide wedges and layers seperated
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 lb. medium yellow fleshed potatoes such as Yukon Gold
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Toss the onion & 2 tablespoons vinegar with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Marinate at room temperature, tossing occasionally until slightly softened and pink. This should take about 45 minutes.
Cover the potatoes with salted cold water in a large pot, simmer, uncovered until just tender. Takes about 20 minutes.
While the potatoes are cooking, whisk together 2 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and remained 1/2 cup vinegar in a bowl.
Drain potatoes in a colander, and peel off skins when they are cool enough to handle. Cut into 1/2 inch wedges. Toss the warm potatoes with the vinegar mixture in a larger bowl. Add the onion mixture & oil. Toss to combine. Add more Old Bay seasoning, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.