Scrambled Egg Turnovers
(Adapted from a Rachael Ray recipe)
- 2 small zucchini, grated
- salt & pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed & halved lengthwise
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the grated zucchini in a bowl and season with salt; let stand for 5 minutes. Squeeze with paper towels to dry. In a medium bowl, beat together 5 eggs, the oregano and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt & pepper. In a small bowl, beat together the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water.
2. In a large non stick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Pour in the oregano egg mixture and scramble for 1 minute (this is the part where I messed up). Transfer eggs to a plate.
3. On a work surface, brush the eggs of the puff pastry with some egg wash. Working with 1 piece at a time, arrange one quarter of the scrambled eggs on one side of the puff pastry. Top with cheese & zucchini. Fold over the pastry and press the edges to seal. (I crimped them with a fork) Transfer pastry to a parchment lined baking sheet and brush the tops with more egg wash. Repeat with 3 more pastries.
4. Bake until the pastries are puffed and golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. I added a bit of shredded cheddar to the top after about 15 minutes of baking!