Spiced Indian Chickpeas
(Recipe Mad Hungry: Feeding Men & Boys)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3-inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 15 oz. cans chickpeas, drained (1 cup liquid reserved)
1. Heat a large skillet and swirl in the oil. Add the chopped onion, garlic and ginger. Saute until soft and lightly golden, 5 to 6 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon, garam masala, cumin, coriander, cloves, cayenne and salt. Add to the onion mixture and cook and stir the spices to lightly toast, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another few minutes to combine. The color should be dark red.
3. Add the chickpeas plus the cup of reserved liquid. Stir to combine. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, removing the cover in the last few minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for a minute to allow the beans to soak up the spice flavors. Season with salt to taste.