Asian "Cool Slaw"
Makes 6 servings
(recipe adapted from Appetite for Reduction, by Isa Moskowitz )
- 1/4 cup cashew pieces
- 2 tablespoons white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 1 14oz. bag coleslaw mix
And here's where my tinkering begins:
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 chopped green onions (both white & green parts)
- 1/3 cup slivered toasted almonds
To make the dressing, place the cashews, onion, water, apple cider vinegar, Dijon & agave syrup in a food processor and blend for at least 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides often and continue blending until smooth. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mixture and mix well. Let it sit for at least 45 minutes so the cabbage is nice & wilted.
Add in the soy sauce, sesame oil, green onions & toasted slivered almonds and mix thoroughly. Taste for salt and chill until ready to serve.
Other possible additions:
- sesame seeds
- red peppers
- won ton chips
- grilled shrimp
- orange segments
- green beans, snap peas, peas...
- baked tofu
- anything really....except mayo