Cabbage Apple Slaw with Maple Pecans
(recipe slightly adapted from For the Love of Salad, by Jeanelle Mitchell)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 3 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- 2 small Granny Smith apples, cored & diced (add a little lemon juice to the cut apples to prevent browning)
- 1 cup maple-glazed pecans (whole or coarsely chopped) See recipe below.
Combine mustard, vinegar, oil and maple syrup in small jar. Add salt & pepper and shake! Place the chopped up cabbage, apples and pecans in a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette.
Maple Glazed Pecans:
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup pecan halves
Preheat oven to 325 F. Combine the maple syrup, brown sugar, pecans and sprinkle with sea salt. Toss to coat well. Toast for 10-15 minutes. Let cool completely on a baking sheet. Break apart if necessary.
-If you want to make this in advance, add the pecans at the very end or they won't be crunchy!
-You can either chop up the pecans or leave them whole like I did. It might be easier to eat if you chop them up. Just saying.