Coconut Lime Bars
(recipe slightly adapted from Everyday Food Magazine)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for baking pan
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 package (7oz.) sweetened shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a 9 inch square baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2 inch over hang on two sides. In a large bowl, whisk butter, brown sugar, and 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Add 1 egg; whisk until smooth. Stir in 1 cup flour, salt, nuts and lime zest. Spread batter in pan and bake until top is set and very lightly golden, 15 to 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 2 eggs and vanilla. Reserve 1/2 cup coconut; stir remaining coconut and 1 cup flour into egg mixture. Gently spread over base; top with reserved coconut. Bake until golden and toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs attached, 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Using parchment, life cake from pan and cut into 24 bars. Store in an air tight container, up to 1 week.