Kale Salad with Toasted Coconut & Sesame Oil
makes 4 servings
(recipe slightly adapted from Super Natural Every Day Cookbook, by Heidi Swanson)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons shoyu, tamari or soy sauce
- 3 1/2 cups shredded lacinato kale (ribs removed)
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened large flake coconut
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the oils with the shoyu. In a large bowl, toss the kale and coconut with about two-thirds of the dressing.
Spread the kale evenly across two baking sheets and bake until the coconut is nice and golden and the kale is wilted, tossing once or twice along the way about 12-18 minutes.
Remove from oven and transfer the kale mixture to a medium bowl. Take a taste of the mixture and if it needs more dressing add some and toss. Place the brown rice on a serving platter and top with the tossed kale. Serve warm.