Mini Ginger Almond Cheesecakes
(recipe slightly adapted from Everyday Food Magazine)
- 1 1/2 cups gingersnap crumbs (from about 30 cookies)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon course salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used salted!)
- 1 package cream cheese (8oz.) at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 10 standard muffin cups with cupcake liners. In a food processor, pulse together the gingersnaps and granulated sugar. Now add the salt & butter and pulse until combined. Divide crumb mixture among cupcake liners, firmly pressing into bottoms and up the sides. Baked until crusts are browned and fragrant, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely in a pan on a wire wrack at room temperature.
In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on high until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the confectioner’s sugar and almond extract and beat until smooth. In another medium bowl, with clean beaters, beat the heavy cream on high until stiff peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture 1/3 at a time until completed. Divide mixture among the cooled crusts and refrigerate until set, 1 hour or up to overnight. To serve, top with chopped crystallized ginger.