Pasta Fagioli Soup
(recipe Adapted from Beans & Rice Cookbook By Williams Sonoma)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 oz. pancetta (or bacon), minced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (15oz. canned)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups (32oz.) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 15oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dried pasta (medium shells or elbow macaroni)
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
In a soup pot over medium low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the pancetta or bacon, onion and garlic and saute slowly, stirring until onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, sage, red pepper flakes and salt & pepper to taste and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the beans and stock and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Add the pasta to the soup and simmer until the pasta is tender, 12-15 minutes.
Ladle the soup into individual bowls. Garnish with the cheese and a few cut fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
(This recipe is not doubled.)