Peppery Chicken Wings
(recipe slightly adapted from Heart of the Artichoke, by David Tanis)
- 5 pounds chicken wings, wingtips removed (I used a combo of drumsticks & wings)
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 4 medium cloves garlic, smashed to a paste with a little salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Lay the chicken wings out on a baking sheet and season well with salt and pepper, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the allspice, cloves, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic and oil; toss to coat evenly. Let sit for 1 hour at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for up to overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Have a large roasting pan or baking sheet at hand.
Spread the wings evenly in the pan or on the baking sheet in a single layer. Roast, uncovered, until they are nicely browned and crisp, about 1 hour.
Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.