Tomatoes with Coriander Vinaigrette
(recipe adapted from Heart of the Artichoke by David Tanis)
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 garlic glove, smashed to a paste with a little salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 lbs. ripe tomatoes, various sizes & colors
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
In a small bowl, mix the vinaigrette, staring with the onion, garlic, vinegar and salt & pepper. Stir in the olive oil. Alternately, put all of the ingredients in a jar and seal with a lid & shake!
Toast the coriander seeds in a dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant. Transfer to an electric spice grinder or a mortar and grind/pound to a powder. Stir into the vinaigrette and add the cayenne.
Cut the tomatoes into thick slices and arrange in a random pattern on a large serving platter. Lightly season with salt. Just before serving, spoon the vinaigrette on top of the tomatoes and top with chopped cilantro leaves.