Rigatoni with Roasted Cauliflower & Brussels Sprouts
recipe slightly adapted from Real Simple Magazine
- 3/4 pound rigatoni or some other short pasta
- 1/2 medium head cauliflower (about 1 pound), cut into florets
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (quartered if large)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 ounces grated Pecorino (about 1/2 cup), plus more for serving
- 1/2 lemon
Heat oven to 450° F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water; drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
Meanwhile, on 2 large rimmed baking sheets, toss the cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and onion with the thyme, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Roast, tossing the vegetables once and rotating the sheets halfway through, until golden brown and tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Add the vegetables, Pecorino, ½ cup of the reserved cooking water, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pasta and toss to combine (add more cooking water if the pasta seems dry). Squeeze half fresh lemon over pasta and stir. Serve sprinkled with additional Pecorino.