recipe adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
- 1 lb. broccolini
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for brushing bread
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced small
- salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 8x 12 inch slab focaccia, with edges trimmed
- 1/4 lb. fresh Bocconcini mozzarella, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup favorite marinara sauce
Remove broccolini’s heavy stems, and chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and pinch of salt & pepper, and cook until onion is translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the chopped broccolini and cook until leaves become tender, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Take broccolini off the heat and squeeze fresh lemon juice on top and stir to combine.
Heat a well seasoned grill pan or panini press over medium high heat. Cut focaccia in half and evenly spread broccolini on one side. Top with torn bocconcini and finish with salt & pepper. Sandwich the other piece of focaccia on top and brush each side of focaccia with olive oil. Place sandwich on the panini press and cook for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is throughly melted. Cut into small rectangular sandwiches and serve with a side of marinara for dipping while sandwiches are still hot.