Carrot Coconut Soup
makes 4 servings
recipe slightly adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (more if you want)
- sriracha (for serving)
- fresh cilantro (for serving)
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion, season with salt & pepper, and cook, stirring often, until carrots are softened, 15-20 minutes. Stir in broth, coconut milk, and sambal oelek. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft and liquid is slightly reduced, 40-45 minutes.
Let soup cool slightly, then puree in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth. Reheat in the saucepan, thinning with water to desired consistency; season with salt & pepper.
Divide soup among bowls, drizzle with sriracha and top with cilantro.