Curried Cauliflower Soup
makes 4-6 servings
recipe adapted slightly from True Food : Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure 
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (14oz.) can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon evaporated cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- caramelized onions (see recipe below)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Put the cashews in a blender and blend until finely ground. Add 3/4 cup water and blend for 2 minutes. Pour the cashew mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon. Discard solids.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onion and saute until golden. Quickly add the garlic and stir for one minute. Add the cauliflower, coconut milk, strained cashew milk, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, sugar, cinnamon, and salt as needed. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
Blend the soup with an immersion blender or blender/food processor until the desired consistency is reached. Return to the pot and reheat if serving hot. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the Caramelized onions and cilantro before serving.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add the onions and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often, until they are soft and brown. Let cool and then store in a lidded container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.