makes 6 servings
recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style
- 1 cup farro
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup finely diced red onion (1 onion)
- 5 tablespoons good olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 scallions, minced, white and green parts
- 1 red bell pepper, small diced
- 1 carrot, small diced
- 2 celery stalks, small diced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta (totally optional)
Place the farro and 3 cups of boiling salted water in a saucepan and cook, uncovered, over low heat for approximately 45 minutes, or until they are soft. Drain.
Saute the red onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the remaining 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar.
In a large bowl, combine the warm farro, sauteed onions, scallions, red bell pepper, carrot, celery, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes for the farro to absorb the sauce. Season, to taste, and serve at room temperature.