Spinach Salad w/ Dates & Almonds
recipe adapted slightly from the Jerusalem Cookbook
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 Medjool dates, quartered length-wise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small pitas, roughly torn into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup whole raw/unsalted almonds
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 oz. baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon
Put the vinegar, onion and dates in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and mix well. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the butter and half the olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the pita and almonds and cook for 4-6 minutes, striring all the time, until pita is crunch and golden brown. Remove from the heat and mix in the sumac, red pepper flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside to cool.
When ready to serve, toss spinach leaves with with the pita mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add the dates and red onion mixture, the remaining olive oil, the lemon juice and another pinch of salt. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.