Tomato & Artichoke Penne
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 12oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts roughly chopped, liquid reserved
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil
- 10 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
In a medium saucepan, cook pine nuts over medium-high heat until nicely browned, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
Wipe saucepan clean, add 1 tablespoon olive oil sauté onions over medium-high heat until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, stir into onions and cook for 1 minute. Add in the diced tomatoes, chopped artichoke hearts and their reserved liquid and stir in dried basil. Cook over medium-high heat for 20 minutes, until sauce thickens. Meanwhile, cook penne according to instructions. Add pine nuts to the pasta sauce, mix the pasta with the sauce and stir until evenly coated. Add in cheese, stir and serve.
**If you find the sauce too tangy, add a pinch of sugar while it’s cooking away on the stove***