Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
recipe slightly adapted from the Thrive Energy Cookbook
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded & diced
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- 5 green onions, finely chopped (both white & green parts)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- a few lemon wedges, for garnish
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced for garnish
- 1/3 English cucumber, sliced for garnish
Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and drizzle the bottom with some of the virgin coconut oil. Add the quinoa; toast, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes or until dry. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to the lowest setting, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let the quinoa sit, covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
Meanwhile, heat another medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the remaining coconut oil and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring for another 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool.
Add the paste mixture to the quinoa and toss gently until fully incorporated. Add the tomatoes, garbanzo beans, green onions, mint, parsley, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, and grapeseed oil. Toss gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with lemon wedges, avocado & sliced cucumber.