The Best Creamed Spinach
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 (16 oz.) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- salt & fresh cracked pepper
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, cut into six pieces
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 350F.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute. Add one package of frozen spinach at a time to the skillet and cook until spinach is completely thawed. Continue process until all packages are used; this should take about 15 minutes. Stir in freshly grated nutmeg, and season with a pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper. Slowly stir in cream cheese and let it sit in the spinach mixture for about 5 minutes to melt and then stir into the spinach until well incorporated. To finish the creamed spinach mixture, stir in 1 cup Parmesan cheese.
Transfer creamed spinach to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until mixture is bubbling and the edges are golden. Serve warm.