Cucumber Kale Salad
recipe slightly adapted from Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home and Travel
- 1 large English cucumber, sliced into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 12 oz. firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 stalks lemongrass, tender center only, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey, or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced, for serving
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for serving
Place the cucumber, onion, kale, and tofu in a large mixing bowl.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the lemongrass, vinegar, lemon juice, honey and salt and simmer for a couple of minutes-long enough for the honey to dissolve. Remove from heat and whisk in the red pepper flakes. Let cook for 5 minutes, fish out the larger pieces of lemongrass and pour the dressing over the cucumber mixture. Toss gently and let sit for 15 minutes. Toss again and adjust salt, pepper and red pepper to taste.
To serve, top with pine nuts, fresh cut avocado and a good squeeze of lime. Serve with remaining lime wedges at the table.