Sidekick Tomato Soup
makes 7 cups
recipe slightly adapted from Cowgirl Creamery Cooks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1- 28 oz. whole peeled organic San Marzano tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano, divided
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1 1/2 tbsp. chopped chives
- handful of croutons, for serving
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Pour in oil, then add onion, carrots, garlic, 1 tsp. salt, the red pepper flakes, and bay leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened and onion is translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add tomatoes, crushing them up with your hands, plus their juice and 1 can water. Bring soup to a simmer and add half of oregano. Decrease heat to very low and simmer, partly covered, 2 hours. About 20 minutes before soup is done, add remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and the remaining oregano.
Remove bay leaves and blend soup until smooth. Add a bit of water if the soup looks thick, and strain if you want it silky smooth. Serve soup topped with a drizzle of crème fraîche, chives and as many croutons as you want!