Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
for the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup Olivari Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 zucchini, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
for the frosting
- 1 8oz. package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for topping
to make the cake:
Preheat oven to 350F. Butter one 8 inch cake pan and set aside.
Whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt and spices in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and brown sugar, breaking up any lumps. Add the maple syrup and vanilla, whisking until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat until fully incorporated. With a wooden spoon, stir in the shredded zucchini, followed Greek yogurt. Add the flour mixture to the liquids, stirring until just combined. Fold in the chopped walnuts to the batter; do not over mix. Pour batter into prepared pan, evening out the top if necessary. Transfer batter to prepared cake pan and bake in the oven for 30- 35 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
Remove from the oven, and leave the cake to cool in its pan for 10 minutes.
to make the frosting:
Place cream cheese, butter, vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer until well combined. Slowly add the confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon and continue beating until frosting is well incorporated.
to frost the cake:
Invert the cake onto the serving platter/plate. Spread frosting evenly over the top of the cake, making sure to leave the sides frosting free. Dust the top of the cake with ground cinnamon and serve.