Baked Stuffed Peppers with Feta
makes 6 servings
recipe slightly adapted from David Tanis Market Cooking
- 6 thick slices day old-french bread, crust removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- a heavy pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 6 very small sweet peppers
- 6 oz. feta, crumbled
Preheat oven to 350F.
Cut the bread into cubes and pulse in the food processor (or blender) to make soft crumbs (yields about 3 cups).
Toss the crumbs with the olive oil and spread on a baking sheet. Bake, stirring often until the crumbs are crisp and barely browned, about 8-10 minutes.
Put the baked crumbs in a bowl and add the garlic, parsley, thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes and Parmesan. Season with salt and black pepper and toss well. Set aside.
Cut the peppers lengthwise in half and remove the cores and seeds. Place skin side down in a shallow baking dish in one layer. Season lightly with salt. Fill each pepper half with about 3 tablespoons crumbled feta and press in the cheese with your fingers. With a spoon, divide the seasoned crumbs evenly among the pepper halves.
Bake for about 30 minutes, until the crumbs are golden and the cheese is softened. Serve warm from the baking dish.