Beet Salad with Poppy Seed + Chive Dressing
recipes from Now & Again
- kosher salt
- 2 1/2 lbs. red beets, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (or mayo if you please)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil and add the beets (the water should cover the beets; if it doesn’t add more). Cook the beets, turning them every so often, until they are tender (test with a paring knife), about 45 minutes (it may be less or a bit longer depending on the size and the age of the beets, so start testing at 20 minutes).
Drain the beets, transfer to a paper towel-lined cutting board, and use the paper towels to rub off the skins. Trim off and discard the root ends.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, mustard, vinegar, pepper, poppy seeds, 2 tablespoons of the chives and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Slice the warm beets into thin bite-sized wedges. Season them lightly with salt and then drizzle the dressing evenly over them. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon chives. Serve immediately.