Thai Basil Tofu
- 1 block tofu (extra firm), cubed
- 1 heaping tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup tamari
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 heaping tablespoon maple syrup (add more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cracked pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ inch knob ginger, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped (both white & green parts)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- cilantro, for serving
- lime, for serving
Prepare the tofu by pressing between a few dishcloths to drain the excess water. Sit wrapped tofu on a flat surface and place a baking sheet on top. Weight the baking sheet down with a few food cans and let sit for about 15 minutes.
To make the stir fry sauce, combine tamari, water, maple syrup and cornstarch. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large wok (you can use a skillet) over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring occasionally until tofu is golden brown on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
Add in the stir fry sauce, ground pepper, garlic and ginger. Cook for another 3 minutes or so, add in the red peppers, scallions, jalapeno, and basil and cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until peppers have slightly softened. Serve rice or noodles with fresh chopped cilantro and a few slices of lime.