Berry Studded Baked Oatmeal
Recipe serves 6
(recipe adapted slightly from the Super Natural Every Day Cookbook)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup cane sugar or maple syrup (plus more for serving)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups whole milk, plus more for serving
- 2 large eggs (original recipe calls for 1)
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted & cooled slightly
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups mixed berries (I used 1 cup frozen blueberries & 1/2 cup frozen raspberries)
Preheat oven to 375 F. Generously butter the inside of an 8 inch baking dish. (I used a 9×13 dish)
In a bowl, mix together the oats, half of the walnuts, the sugar, baking powder & cinnamon.
In another bowl mix the milk, eggs, half of the butter and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
Arrange the bananas in a single layer at the bottom of your baking dish. Sprinkle 2/3 of the berry mixture on top. Pour the oat mixture on top and then slowly drizzle the milk mixture on top of that. Give the baking dish a few thwacks (love that word!) on the kitchen counter to make sure the milk moves all around the oats. Scatter the remaining berries and walnuts on top.
Bake in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and let cool. Drizzle the remaining butter on top and serve. Drizzle maple syrup on top and top with a little bit of milk. Enjoy!
-original recipe calls for huckleberries. I used frozen blueberries & raspberries.
-original recipe has 1 egg. I used 2.
-original recipe also uses calls for a scant 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the oat mixture. I used salted butter instead!