Farro Salad with Cranberries
(recipe adapted from thekitchn)
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 3 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon shoyu (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 medium red onion (about 1/3 pound), chopped finely
- 3 large stalks celery
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
Put the farro in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then turn the heat down to low and cook for 20-35 minutes, or until the farro is soft yet still chewy.
While the farro is cooking, whisk the rice vinegar, orange juice, shoyu, orange zest and agave syrup together in a small bowl. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Toss the chopped celery, onions, raisins, cranberries, almonds, and parsley together in a large bowl.
When the farro is tender enough to be chewed easily, transfer it in with the other ingredients in the large bowl. Top with the dressing and mix thoroughly.
Let the salad stand at room temperature for at least one hour before serving. This allows the flavors mix and soak into the grain. Serve warm or at room temperature.