Mini Cheddar Popovers
(recipe adapted from Gourmet Magazine)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded white cheddar
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Whisk together milk, eggs, flour, 1 tablespoon butter, salt, and pepper until smooth, then stir in cheeses and herbs. Chill 1 hour to allow batter to rest.
Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in upper third.
Butter muffin pan with remaining tablespoon butter, then heat in oven until butter sizzles, about 2 minutes.
Gently stir batter, then divide among muffin cups (they will be about two-thirds full). Bake until puffed and golden-brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.