Pepita Pesto Pasta w/ Roasted Squash
recipe slightly adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- nutmeg, for grating
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup toasted pepitas
- 2 jalapeño chile peppers, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or pasted
- Juice of 1 lime
Preheat oven to 450ºF. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta-cooking water.
While the pasta is working, on a baking sheet, drizzle the squash with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and grated nutmeg. Roast until tender and charred at the edges, about 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, using a food processor, pulse 1/3 cup olive oil, herbs, cheese, pepitas, chiles, garlic and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the pesto, reserved pasta-cooking water and squash to the drained pasta. Toss gently and squeeze a little lime juice on top & serve.