Strawberry Ginger Punch
makes 6 drinks
recipe adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 12 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled, halved or quartered if large (about 3 cups), divided
- 1 3-inch piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced, divided
- 1/2 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1 1/2 cups vodka
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 12-ounce cans seltzer water
Combine sugar, 1/2 cup strawberries, half of ginger, and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until berries soften, about 3 minutes. Let cool. Strain and set syrup aside.
Muddle 2 cups strawberries, 1/4 cup basil, and remaining ginger in a large jar or bowl. Add vodka, lime juice, and reserved syrup and stir to combine. Chill at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours to let flavors meld.
Strain mixture into a large punch bowl, pressing on solids to release as much liquid as possible.
Add seltzer and remaining 1/2 cup strawberries and 1/4 cup basil. Serve over ice.