Banana Walnut Baked Oatmeal
serves 6 to 8
recipe slightly adapted from Whole-Grain Mornings
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and cooled
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, cooled & coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted plus more for greasing the pan
- warm cream or milk, for serving
- salted butter, for serving
- brown sugar, for serving
Preheat oven to 375F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with a little coconut oil, fully coating the bottom and sides.
In a large bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, walnuts, flaxseeds, baking powders, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and kosher salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and the buttermilk, applesauce, maple syrup, egg and vanilla. Add to the oat mixture and fold together quickly until just combined.
In the prepared baking dish, spread an even layer of sliced bananas (this usually takes 2 full bananas). Then evenly spoon the oat mixture on top of the bananas. Top with the remaining bananas and drizzle the coconut oil on top.
Bake until the oatmeal is bubbling and has a slightly golden top, about 40 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm with a small spoonful of brown sugar, a little bit of butter and cream on top. Cover and refrigerate leftovers for 4 to 5 days.