Grilled Turkey Meatball Subs
makes 4 sandwiches and 20 meatballs
for the meatballs
- 1 1lb. ground turkey meat (dark meat)
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
Preheat grill/ grill pan to medium-high heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix all of the meatball ingredients together until well incorporated. Be careful not to over-mix.
Shape mixture into 1-2 inch meatballs and set aside on a parchment lined baking sheet. You should have about 18-20 meatballs in total. Season meatballs with salt & pepper and place onto the hot grill.
Cook for 8-10 minutes, rotating every 2-3 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
for the meatball subs:
- 1 sweet baguette, cut in 4 pieces
- arugula pesto
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- pickled peppers
- 12 grilled turkey meatballs (recipe above)
Cut pieces of bread in half to form sandwiches. Grill/toast until lightly browned. Spread a generous layer of arugula pesto on one side of sandwich. Add enough pickled peppers to cover the pesto, top with two slices of cheese (per sandwich) followed by 3 meatballs. Close sandwich and serve immediately.