Smoky Kale Caesar Salad
makes 3-4 servings
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2-3 anchovy filets, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup sharp white cheddar, shredded
- 1 egg yolk
- 9-10 cups lacinato kale, chopped (about 2 bunches)
- 2 cups torn croutons (see recipe below)
To make the dressing, mix the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, anchovies, chili powder, and smoked paprika in a small bowl (or wide mouthed jar). Add olive oil and the egg yolk and mix the dressing with an immersion blender until well incorporated. Toss in 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and add salt & pepper to taste. It’s best to dip a kale leaf in the dressing to figure out if you need to add more acid or seasoning.
Put the chopped kale in your tossing bowl. Add dressing a bit at a time and mix it up with some more Parmesan and shredded cheddar. It’s best to “massage” the kale to help saturate the leaves. Taste to see if it’s been properly dressed. Right before serving, toss in the croutons then top with a little Parmesan cheese, and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- half loaf of day old country bread
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- dried herbs (I make a thyme, basil & oregano combo)
- garlic powder
Preheat oven to 350 F. Tear bread into 1 inch pieces and layer on a baking sheet. Add a few glugs of olive oil and toss until oil is evenly distributed. Season with a pinch of kosher salt. Place prepared croutons into the oven and bake for 10 minutes, stir and bake another 5-8 minutes (15 minutes total) until golden brown.