The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
makes 2 breakfast sandwiches
- 4 frozen hash brown patties
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 breakfast sausage patties (see recipe below)
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 large eggs
- salt & pepper
- hot sauce, for topping
Preheat oven to 300F.
Heat a cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon oil over medium high-heat. Place hash brown patties in hot oil and cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until hash browns are evenly browned and crispy. If you find them sticking to the skillet, add more oil. Remove from pan, place on baking sheet and heat in the oven while you cook the sausage and eggs.
Add the sausage to the pan and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook 2 minutes more. Place the sausage on two of the hash browns. Top with cheese and place back in the oven.
Clean skillet, add remaining oil to the pan. Fry eggs until edges are crispy and the whites have set. Season with salt & pepper. Drizzle eggs with hot sauce and place each one on the cheesy sausage topped hash brown. Take the remaining hash browns and sandwich them on top of the egg/sausage/cheese. Serve immediately, with additional hot sauce.
makes 8 patties
recipe from Bon Appetit
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pound ground porkMix sage, thyme, brown sugar, salt, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika in a medium bowl. Add pork and work spice mixture into meat with your hands until it’s very well blended.
Scoop out ¼-cupfuls of mixture and flatten into about ¼”-thick patties. Layer patties in between small sheets of parchment paper. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 3 days.