Penne with Pistachio Mint Pesto
for the pesto
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 2 cups packed mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
In a mini food processor, chop the garlic, followed by pistachios, mint, lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
for the pasta
- 2 leeks (white parts only), thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh peas
- 1 tablespoon extra olive oil
- 1 1lb. penne
- 2 cups fresh pea shoots
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- lemon juice for finishing
Saute leeks in olive oil a medium pan over medium-high heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add fresh peas and continue cooking until peas have softened, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot. Add the cooking water and the pesto and toss until well coated. Stir in the leeks, peas, pea shoots and Parmesan cheese. Squeeze fresh lemon on the pasta and serve immediately.