Pressed Italian Sandwiches
makes about 8 servings
recipe adapted from Sunset Magazine
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- 1/2 cup store-bought olive tapenade
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced spicy Italian cold cuts, such as coppa or capocolla
- 1/4 pound salami
- 3 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 oz. marinated artichoke hearts
- 8 leaves fresh basil, torn into bite-size pieces
- fresh cracked pepper
Cut the ciabatta loaf in half lengthwise. Spread bottom half with tapenade. Drizzle cut side of top half with balsamic vinegar and oil.
Arrange salumi on top of tapenade, followed by the cold cuts, prosciutto, mozzarella, red pepper, artichoke hearts and basil. Season liberally with fresh cracked pepper and place top half of loaf on filling.
Wrap sandwich thoroughly with plastic wrap or foil. Place heavy cutting board or baking sheet on top of sandwich and weigh down with about 2-4 lbs of weight (try a large pot or canned goods!). Let sit for 30 minutes to 2 hours. Unwrap, cut into eighths, and serve.