Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Frosting
makes 4 cupcakes
recipe slightly adapted from Sweet & Simple- Dessert for Two
for the cupcakes:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso powder
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or milk with 1/2 teaspoon vinegar added)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
Preheat oven to 350F and line four cups in a muffin pan with paper liners.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and instant coffee (if using).
Next, add all the remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined.
Divide the batter between the paper liners, and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until the top springs back when you lightly pressed. If you underbake them, they sink slightly, so be sure to test them with a toothpick too.
Let’s make cupcakes cool before frosting.
for the frosting:
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 of a vanilla bean, seeds scraped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
Beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Slowly add the powdered sugar, vanilla bean, vanilla extract while continuously beating.
Add the cream, starting with just 1 tablespoon and add more if needed to make the perfect frosting consistency.
Frost the cupcakes with the vanilla frosting and top with sprinkles. Serve!