Carrot Ginger Bread
makes 1 loaf
recipe adapted from Heritage Baking
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optinal)
Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, toss the carrots with the lemon zest and salt. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and ground ginger.
In a colander placed over the sink, use your hands to squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the carrot mixture. Return the carrot mixture to the large bowl, then add the applesauce, Greek yogurt, melted butter, and eggs and stir until just combined. Add the flour mixture to the carrot mixture and fold until combined. Add the walnuts and fold into the batter. Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan.
Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven to 350F and bake for 40 minutes or more, until a metal skewer or toothpick inserted comes out clean.