Simple Mixed Berry Crisp
recipe adapted from Epicurious
for the berry mixture
- 3 cups blueberries
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
for the crisp topping:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Gently combine the berries with the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice in a medium bowl; place in the prepared 9 x 13 baking dish.
Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt in a bowl. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to work in the butter until topping resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle topping evenly over the berries.
Bake in the center of the oven until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown, about 1 hour. Remove the crisp to a rack to cool slightly. Serve in dessert bowls with whipped cream or ice cream.