Chocolate Banana Bread
makes 1 loaf (about 12 servings)
recipe slightly adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod Cookbook
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dutch-process or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large brown bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sea salt.
In a large bowl, stir together the mashed bananas, and melted butter. Add the oil, brown sugar, egg and vanilla and stir until smooth.
Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just incorporated, don’t overmix. Gently fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining chocolate chips. Baked for 55 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick instered into the cenger of the bread comes out mostly clean. You may see melted chocolate instead of the batter so test the loaf in a few places. Let bread cool in pan for 15 minutes. Slice and serve.