Spicy Chicken with Chickpeas
recipe slightly adapted from Mad Hungry Cravings
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or parsley) leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1- 3lb. chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2- 15 oz. cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
Mix together the oil, garlic, cilantro, paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Transfer the marinade to a zip-top bag or a large container and add the chicken, chickpeas, and tomatoes, making sure that everything is evenly coated. Marinate in the fridge for a few hours, all day, or overnight.
When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 450F. Place the chicken and other ingredients, including any marinade into a large roasting pan. Roast until chicken is cooked through and browned and the tomatoes have burst and are caramelized, about 30-35 minutes. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro (or parsley).