Broccoli Fritters with Chipotle Yogurt
makes about 10
recipe slightly adapted from Everyday Dinners
for the broccoli fritters:
- 3- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2-to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- chipotle yogurt sauce (see below)
Fill a skillet or saucepan with 1 inch of water and heat it over medium heat. Once simmering, add the broccoli and cover the pan. Steam the broccoli for 3 to 4 minutes, just until it’s bright green and slightly tender. Strain the broccoli.
Chop the broccoli into small pieces. Mash half of the pieces with a fork or potato masher (or cut them finely with a knife).
In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, flour, cheese, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Fold in the mashed broccoli and broccoli pieces.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, drop 1/2 cup scoops of the broccoli mixture onto the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden and crispy. Repeat with the remaining olive oil and broccoli mixture.
Serve immediately with the chipotle yogurt
for the chipotle yogurt sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper (from a can) diced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can of chipotle peppers
In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, garlic, chipotle, and adobo sauce until combined.