Roasted Vegetable Baked Penne
recipe adapted from Real Simple- Meals Made Easy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound), halved lengthwise
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- ½ large onion, peeled and quartered
- ½ pound dry penne
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
Heat the broiler.
In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of the oil with the vinegar, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and a few grinds of pepper and brush the mixture on the cut sides of the zucchini, peppers, and onion. Arrange them cut-side up on a large baking sheet. Broil the vegetables until golden brown and tender, about 8 to 10 minutes per side. Cut the zucchini and peppers into smaller pieces, set aside.
Heat the oven to 350º F.
Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain. Add the garlic and the remaining tablespoon of oil to the saucepot, and cook over low heat until the garlic sizzles. Stir in the oregano and add the cooked pasta, broiled vegetables, chopped tomatoes, Feta, the tomato sauce, pepper flakes, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few more grinds of pepper. Transfer to a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the mozzarella.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until the cheese is melted and golden, and a knife inserted in the center for 5 seconds comes out hot.