Dearest Organic Free Range Eggs,
I'm sorry I failed you. You totally needed a win; especially with all this bad press about eggs giving people salmonella. This turnover recipe made me think that you needed to be *set* before I tucked you into a pocket of puff pastry and let you slumber in my hot oven. Little did I know that you would turn out overdone! I'm now know that I should have followed the 1 minute the recipe suggested rather than the 3 minutes I insisted on. Would that have meant you would have been super runny on the puff pastry? Hmmm...
Thank god the zucchini, puff pastry & melted cheddar made up for your shortcomings. I heard that my Mom's green salad was delighted to join you on the plate for lunch! You two make such an excellent couple! I took a picture of you two! I think it turned out pretty nice!
I hope that you accept my sincere apology. Maybe next time I'll include some bacon with the zucchini & cheese mixture? Sound good?
I look forward to seeing you soon! Maybe in tomorrow's breakfast? You free?
Let's start the show!!!!!
Ingredient party! You're invited!
Get those eggs cracking!
Zucchini needs shredding & salting. Set aside in a bowl.
Grate your cheddar. Have a few samples. Eat some of those chunks of cheese. I give you permission.
Scramble the eggs with the oregano, salt & pepper. Take a look at the recipe again.
Drain the zucchini in a paper towel. Surprising how much water comes out of it, huh?
Get out your puff pastry! Roll it out! Get your egg wash ready.
Cut your dough and plop on all the fillings. Brush edges with egg wash & seal it up!
I used a fork, but they puffed up soo much you would never know...
Here they are in the oven. I decided to add cheese. Cheese is always a good idea.
Fresh from the oven....I think this is what heaven looks like. Look at that crusty cheese on the parchment! EEK!
Look at that crusty cheesy top.
Glorious...minus the overcooked egg bit ;) Be careful with that.
Scrambled Egg Turnovers
(Adapted from a Rachael Ray recipe)
- 2 small zucchini, grated
- salt & pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed & halved lengthwise
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the grated zucchini in a bowl and season with salt; let stand for 5 minutes. Squeeze with paper towels to dry. In a medium bowl, beat together 5 eggs, the oregano and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt & pepper. In a small bowl, beat together the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water.
2. In a large non stick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Pour in the oregano egg mixture and scramble for 1 minute (this is the part where I messed up). Transfer eggs to a plate.
3. On a work surface, brush the eggs of the puff pastry with some egg wash. Working with 1 piece at a time, arrange one quarter of the scrambled eggs on one side of the puff pastry. Top with cheese & zucchini. Fold over the pastry and press the edges to seal. (I crimped them with a fork) Transfer pastry to a parchment lined baking sheet and brush the tops with more egg wash. Repeat with 3 more pastries.
4. Bake until the pastries are puffed and golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. I added a bit of shredded cheddar to the top after about 15 minutes of baking!