this week’s girl’s night was LIME themed!
Lime Squares with Pistachio Graham-Cracker Crust
(Everyday Food recipe-makes 16)
For the crust:
-4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled, plus more for the pan
-2/3 cup shelled pistachios
-1 cup graham cracker crumbs
-1/4 cup sugar
-1 tablespoon grated lime zest
For the Filling:
-2 large egg yolks
-1 can (14oz.) sweetened condensed milk (I used the fat free version)
-1/2 cup lime juice
-1 tablespoon grated lime zest (this wasn’t in the original recipe- I added this)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush an 8 inch square baking dish with melted butter. Line bottom with parchment paper, leaving a 2 inch overhang on two sides.
2. In a food processor, finely grind pistachios with graham-cracker crumbs, sugar, and zest. Blend in butter. Press mixture into bottom and 1 inch up sides of prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes. Cool crust, 30 minutes.
3. To make filling: In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and condensed milk. Add lime juice and lime zest. Whisk until smooth. Pour mixture into cooled crust; carefully spreading to edges.
4. Bake until set, about 15 minutes. Cool in pan on rack; then chill at least 1 hour before serving. Using parchment paper overhang, lift out of pan, and transfer to a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut into 16 squares, wiping knife with a damp kitchen towel between each cut.
and for dinner….
Chinese Mustard Vinaigrette:
-1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
-3 tablespoons peanut oil
-2 tablespoons light sesame oil
-1 1/2 tablespoons honey
-3 teaspoons Chinese mustard (more if you like it spicy!)
-Salt & Pepper (to taste)
In the salad:
-1 head of napa cabbage chopped
-1 head of romaine lettuce chopped
-2 cooked chicken breasts shredded (I used a rotisserie chicken to save time)
-2 cups shredded carrots
-1 bunch of cilantro chopped
-1 cup roasted peanuts
-1 LARGE handful of fried chow mein noodles
1. In a medium size bowl, mix all of the vinaigrette ingredients with a whisk. Whisk very well and you have yourself a great dressing!
2. Put shredded chicken in your salad bowl, add a little bit of the vinaigrette and mix well. Start adding the rest of your ingredients. Toss well!! Dig in!
3. Garnish with lime slices. Squeeze some juice on your salad. It’s fantastic!
***I love this salad because it’s so versatile! It’s fresh, crisp, light & easy to whip up. It’s also a good one to improvise. Add some sesame seeds! Add different types of lettuce! Use beef or tofu! It’s really all about the dressing…..Which is scrumptious. I hope you enjoy! ***