Here's a little recipe that produces a very pretty & tasty result! I found it in a recent issue of Better Homes & Gardens. I am really starting to get into that magazine! Does that mean I'm a grownup? It's a nice & light dinner option for summer. It would also be a hit at brunch with the ladies! The real star of this dish is the corn and the sliced tomatoes with basil! The recipe says the tomatoes are optional, but I beg to differ! They made the corn pop with sweetness. If I had it to do over again, I'd splash a few goat cheese crumbles on top! But that's just me!
Let's get started!
You have to make your dough first. I used a hand mixer. It's super simple.
After it the cornmeal dough comes together, form it into a disc, wrap it up and pop it in the fridge!
After 30 minutes or so, take the dough out and press it into the tart pan.
A little finger work and you have this. Cover it in a double layer of foil and bake in the oven.
This is the time you gather your filling ingredients!
Mix the half & half and eggs together. Add some salt & pepper.
Chop up your basil! Mine came from my garden! I'm such a show off, huh?
Mix the corn & basil into the eggs and half & half. When the tart shell is done baking, pour in your filling.
Now carefully put it in the oven!
While it's baking, chop up some tomatoes & basil and transfer to a bowl with salt & pepper.
Say hello to your Corn & Basil Tart cooling... It's a beauty.
Now cut yourself a slice, and top with those tomatoes!
Gosh darn, I love summer.
Corn & Basil Tart
(recipe from Better Homes & Gardens)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
- 1/2 cup coarsely snipped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Chopped tomato and basil (NOT optional)
1. For cornmeal crust, in medium bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat until combined. Beat in 1 egg until combined. Add in cornmeal and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour. Form dough into a disc and wrap in plastic. Chill 30 to 60 minutes or until easy to handle.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pat dough onto bottom and sides of 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Press evenly onto bottom and sides with a small glass (see note). Line pastry with double thickness of foil and bake 10 minutes; remove foil. Bake 4 to 6 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, in medium bowl whisk together 2 eggs and half-and-half. Stir in corn, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Pour into pastry shell. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan to serve. Sprinkle with tomato and additional basil. Makes 8 servings.
***I had a little more filling than I thought I would and ended up overflowing the tart pan. Be careful with that. I used a turkey baster to remove the excess filling! YIKES. It all worked out in the end. No one except you would know. ***