This cake disappeared from my kitchen counter in less than 24 hours. I’m not ashamed because I’ve already faced the fact that I have no intention of putting a bathing suit on this summer. Fat juicy blackberries suspended in a moist cake loaded with a pecan crumb topping. What could be better? Now that breakfast is covered, what’s for lunch?
Shall we get started? Put on your apron!
Gather you crumb ingredients. Let’s get that out of the way first.
Whir them up in a food processor! Set aside in a bowl. Clean out your food processor! We need it for the batter!
Now let’s get to the cake part. Add your dry ingredients in. Pulse once or twice.
Here comes your butter chunks! Pulse pulse pulse and done!
Now we work on the wet ingredients in a bigger bowl. Milk, eggs, vanilla….love.
And then dry meets wet. Stir stir stir.
Pour the dough in a lubed baking pan. Sprinkle juicy fat blackberries on top!
Top with your crumb cake!! There’s a lot of it. Time to get excited! Now into the oven it goes.
And we have a nicely browned Blackberry Crumb Cake. Let is cool off!
Little hands will love this cake!
Just so you know, it’s Coop approved!
Now fix yourself a slice!
And don’t worry about fitting into that bathing suit. Who really cares?
Sandi’s Blackberry Crumb Cake
(Recipe from Real Simple Magazine)
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (I used about 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound fresh blackberries (about 3 1/2 cups)